Situated on the Chianti’s hillsides overlooking the town of Arezzo, the estates of the Count Borghini Baldovinetti de’Bacci exemplify what the French call “Terroir”. To truly understand the secrets behind these great wines, one needs to understand the history of this precious land, and the family that has owned it for centuries. The present farmhouse settlement is on the ancient trade route that departed from the Adriatic coast, passed through the entire valley, climbed over the hills of Casentino and ended in Arezzo. This valley was under the feudal control of several important families of Arezzo, among which was the de’ Bacci family.Along this route, which ends just below the city walls you can still see the watch towers and toll gates today, demonstrating its strategic value and importance for trade. The first document proving the existence of vineyards on the property is dated 1416, when Francesco de’ Bacci sold a vineyard to finance the painting of the frescoes in the family Chapel by the famous painter Piero della Francesca.
Just after the Second World War the estate committed to viticulture and winemaking, and then started bottling in the 1960’s. Today the winery exports worldwide especially to those countries where Bacchus’s nectar is particularly appreciated.